WWC Logo
Worldwide Classroom
Consortium for International Education & Multicultural Studies
Web worldwide.edu
  Program Listings Student Resources Program Providers About WWC

Travel Documents

Passports: For most nationalities, a valid passport is required to travel abroad or for European countries outside of the EU.

If you don't have a passport, inquire at your main post office or courthouse for requirements on how to obtain one. Allow two months for processing. In an emergency, you may be able to get a passport within days, directly from a Passport Office (call the U.S. Government information operator for a location nearest you), or through a passport service. Visa and passport expediting agencies charge a fee. Ask your travel agent for local services.

Make several copies of your passport ID page and other travel documents and leave one copy with a relative at home and bring two copies along with you, keeping them in separate places. Once you arrive at your destination, you may want to pack your passport in a safe place and carry one of the copies along with you.

You can register your passport at your country's embassy office upon your arrival in a foreign country if you chose to do so. This greatly expedites the process if your passport is lost or stolen.

Visas: Some countries (Taiwan, Brazil, etc.) require that all visitors have a visa. Most countries only require a visa for visitors intending a stay of over 90 days. This includes all European countries. A visa may be applied for through the consulate or embassy of the country to be visited. It is an endorsement made in your passport indicating that the intended purpose of your visit is acceptable to the foreign government.

Health Inoculations: You may want to check with your local public health office or physician. Even though they are not required, they may be "recommended," especially if you are planning on traveling to remote areas.

Other Documents may be needed if:

  • You are a minor (under age 18) traveling alone. For example, minors traveling to Mexico alone or with one parent need a notarized parent permission signed by both parents.
  • Your passport has a different (maiden) name.
  • You are taking children other than your own.
  • You will be visiting countries other than the country in which you're studying; etc. Most countries require "evidence of sufficient funds for your length of stay" and a return or continuing ticket.

Please Note: Some countries require that your passport be valid at least 6 months beyond the date of your visit to that country.

It is your responsibility to have the proper documents. Verify that there has been no "document change" when you call the airlines to confirm your flight at least 72 hours before your departure.


Worldwide Classroom (WWC)
Consortium for International Education & Multicultural Studies

P.O. Box 1166    Milwaukee, WI   53201   USA
Tel: (414) 224-3476    Fax: (414) 224-3466    E-Mail: info@worldwide.edu