- Imagine a tennis ball in the calf of your leg. Using leg muscles, squeeze several times.
- With legs straightened, point the toes up and down vigorously.
- With the foot just off the floor circle the foot, first in one direction, then the other.
- To relieve aching and swollen feet, place the foot firmly on the floor, now pull the toes strongly towards the heel, arching the foot.
If reading for long periods:
- Close the eyes, then massage the eye lids with finger tips.
- Roll the eyes to the left, then right.
- At eye level, place a finger at elbows length. Focus the eyes on the finger, then look beyond it, focus again on the finger. Repeat.
- Cross arms and grip the knees. With arm muscles tensed, bend the elbows, bringing hands back to shoulder points. Pull your shoulders back, then repeat.
A useful exercise to ensure the chest is never in a cramped position:
- Breathe out, tightening the tummy muscles.
- Place hands on stomach and breath in "filling the waistline."
- Repeat 4 or 5 times.
- Practice this before settling down to sleep.
- Inhale through the nose, hold for as long as possible. Slowly exhale, expelling as much stale air as possible.
Make long hours of sitting more enjoyable:
- Place hands behind the small of your back, arch spine forwards and backwards.
- Shrug the shoulders, then circle shoulders backwards.
- With fists close to the body, push down on the seat, attempting to lift buttocks off seat.
- Use layovers to exercise